Thursday, December 20, 2007

If I had this tree, I have a feeling I'd be minus a husband...


5 MORE BIG SLEEPS!

I'm like a child at Christmas I am. Oh no wait....

I still can't believe that this was me merely a year ago. My mummy did her annual Christmas shop with her mummy at the weekend and reminded me that it was somewhat interupted last year when she had to return home as I was finding breathing so difficult (even on maximum oxygen) that I needed her to come and be with me as it was pretty frightening. It's just so so weird to think that little did I know a matter of weeks later I'd be getting my new lungs.

I got a bit sad yesterday thinking about my donor family, who somewhere out there must be dreading this Christmas. I wish I could do something to help them. Thinking of everyone out there who has suffered a loss and might be finding the festive season particularly tough.

I really hope that rereading my blog gives those waiting for transplant, or indeed those suffering any difficult episodes in their lives some hope. Things can change beyond all recognition, you just don't know what's round the corner. The unpredictability of life is what makes it scary but also what creates hope. I think personally I'd prefer unpredictability if it means there's always a chance things could get better, rather than knowing what my lot is and having an unchangable path set.

Learn from yesterday, cherish today and hope for the future, I think that's a pretty good balance.

Wishing you all the most fantastic Christmas - may it be fun, festive, sparkly and filled with laughter and joy. Thank you all for your support, friendship, wishes and thoughts this year; I don't think you can ever realise how much a little message of support or comfort can reach out and touch someone at a time of need.

Bit of a deep pre-Christmas post there! I am off to continue wrapping presents and adorning things (predominantly myself) in glitter. YAY!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well.

Love, Randall

Sam said...

fabulous post as always Em, Merry Christmas. xx

Anonymous said...

Fab post Emily, You do give those waiting (including myself) hope! Have a great christmas hun and happy new year!

much love x

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your new lungs! I hope you thoroughly enjoy your first (of many) post-transplant Christmas Day!
My thoughts are with your donor family too; as you said, it must be a very sad time for them this year.

Much love xxx

Anonymous said...

Emily love health and happiness to you and your family and thankyou for all your hard work along with rest of LLGL team etc. :D

Does make you think about donor and their famailies etc spec this time of year quite agree. Rach helped give a talk about promotiong organ donation along with two Transplant Co-ordinators today @Bristol Uni. Rach said she was quite nervous but it went well over 200 medics students attended etc-1 happened to be 1 of your old flat mates :D yeyyyyy came and had chat with Rach.:D

Rach wanted people to see how a transplant has changed her and our families lives too and to try and help others' in need of transplants too etc.Its times like this when it really does bring message of organ donation home to others' spec this time of year. We will say a prayer and special thoughts to all those that have donated organs to otehrs' and their families such truly wonderful 'gifts' and eternally greatful to them....

Thinking of you all and to everyone waiting for a transplant hope that a special gift' may be in the near future for them too....

much love & (((hugz))) Elaine Rach & family xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas to you and Adam, I know it will be a wonderful time for you, so very different from last year when we were all reading your blogs and worrying deeply! It has been a fab year for you, and because of that many of us have shared your enthusiasm for life. You have such a knack of inspiring others. Enjoy yourselves, and enjoy the excitement too!!! With love to all your family,and a very happy 2008!!! Love Diane T. xx

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely Christmas - your first as a married couple. Such a vast difference from your last Christmas attached to oxygen - eat, drink and be merry. Much love, xxx

Mad Asthmatic said...

Dear Emily, I have been reading your blog for well over a year and I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and Adam. You have been through a hell of a lot and yet you have always remained (or seemed to) positive. I hope that you have a wonderful christmas and exercise those new lungs of yours with lots of singing, chatting, laughing. Your donor's family will always be in your heart and I am sure that they will take comfort in knowing that their loss has given back life to another. Maybe in time you will meet and they will be able to see how much you make of life.
so Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all your family. Eat Drink and Be Merry....

love a wheezy mad asthmatic

Unknown said...

Have the best Christmas ever Emily!! and your blogs always give hope to others.
x x

Jac said...

It's amazing to think how far you have come in the past year - what a journey! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a 2008 full of new adventures!

Higs xxx