Monday, January 23, 2006

A year ago today my friend Gaz finally lost his battle with CF. It feels very strange thinking about that day exactly a year ago, in so many ways it still feels like yesterday, as I cant believe I will never talk to him again, but in other ways it feels like a lifetime ago. I posted the following on our website:
"Dear all,
As many of you will know, it is a year ago to the day since Gaz lost his battle to CF. I had known Gaz for some years, and over that time he had become much more than just a CF acquaintance. We would chat on the phone, on the net, via text, email and then after being inmates together in the Brompton in summer 2003, face to face.
I am not a religious person, but as Gaz’s health declined, I would sit on my bed before going to sleep with my fingers crossed really tight and wish very hard that that night he would get his call. Then on the 23rd of January 2005, I got the phone call to say that time had run out.
Cystic Fibrosis is slowly being beaten, treatments are improving all the time, the life expectancy is still going up, and children and adults are living full and active lives. But pwcf are still dying. Because CF still has no cure, and because of the lack of organ donors.
Today I am remembering Gaz for his cheeky smile, his silly voice that he put on to cheer me up, his laugh which was so infectious we would both end up dissolving into coughing fits and his warmth and affection which made him one of the best friends I have ever had. I will be in chat tonight, and anyone and everyone is welcome to join me to remember Gaz and all those who have lost their battle with CF.
Love to you all."
A friend of mine pointed out that today is also a celebration. A celebration of how one person can inspire so many others, and his legacy is still living on in so many ways, the T shirt project, pwcf.net, not to mention all the people that love him.
The past week has been incredibly busy, too busy really so I am watching myself this week to have a bit more of a rest! I spent the weekend with my family in Derbyshire, celebrating my grandad's 90th birthday. That man is one of my idols in life; he just loves life and enthusiastically drinks up every possible positive point he can. A good way to live really, yay to that!

1 comment:

Kiera said...

A lovely tribute. It's so hard to lose a friend, especially way before their time. But it's great to be able to capture something of the special person Gaz clearly was and to share that with us.
I hope today isn't too hard and that you enjoy remembering many special moments.

Your Grandad sounds like a dude!