Sunday, August 29, 2010

Shock horror, it's me, actually posting on my blog.

Do I have an excuse? Not really. Maybe this blog is heading into retirement, I'm not sure. Anyway a catch up on what's been going on.

The end of term was manic, with dozens of concerts and shows, but I can't complain as I thrive off it and loved every minute, even though I was thoroughly shattered by the end.

The Summer holidays got off to a fantastic start when Jac and her husband came down to stay. I was hugely over-excited at this and we'd been looking forward to it (and trying to get organised enough to arrange it) for a while. We had a lovely day and evening together, but unfortunately that night, my body decided to enter into one of my more random and weird poorly episodes and I started being very sick. Feeling really quite rough (and a little scared - I'm a complete wuss when it comes to being sick, in fact I'm probably braver when I have chest drains and things in) and unable to even keep a sip of water down, I phoned Harefield and went straight up there to get some introvenous anti-sickness.

The main problem with this kind of thing for transplant patients is that if you can't keep your immunosupressants down, it sends your levels too low so once I was in, Harefield wouldn't let me go as I needed to have my immunos via IV as well. A couple of days later, all seemed to have stablised so I was discharged....only to be readmitted 24 hours later as it started all over again.

It was a frustrating two weeks or so, but it seems (she says touching wood half a dozen times) that it has disappeared. The docs were baffled, and the only thing we've changed is to double up one of my drugs (omeprazole for those medically minded folk) so that might be what did it.

Medical rubbishyness aside, one of the highlights of the summer was the Glee workshop I ran mid-August. I had been dying to do one and knew there was a fairly high demand so decided to just go for it and it was a huge success. We had about 30 participants aged 11 to 25 who learnt songs in harmony with choreography and then performed them at the end of the day to family and friends. It was a rediculously busy day and I'm not sure I actually sat down but I loved every single minute of it and would definitely like to run another one.

Participants rehearsing around the piano.

So suddenly here we are at the end of the Summer holidays, and it feels like I haven't even made a dent in my to-do list. I am looking forward to starting back (a big perk of loving my job) but admittedly don't feel quite as rested as I'd hope to! My lungs, I am happy to report, are behaving exceptionally well and in fact on Thursday I achieved my highest Lung Function yet at Harefield (Woo!)

Bring on September and a new term full of new excitement, and lots of new things that continue to prevent me from keeping this blog up to date. But do you know what? If life is getting in the way of finding time to sit down and write on here, I am certainly not complaining.


suzie said...

Hiya Em,
It's always good to read a post from you and particularly so when it's to tell us you are too busy to blog. Great to hear the workshop went well and the sickness has cleared up, long may it continue.

Take care hunni, much love always. x

Molly said...

It's lovely to see an update from you Emily :) Glad to hear that things have generally gone well for you recently apart from your hospital admissions. Glad you're feeling better now though.

Take care,
Moll x x

loulou said...

I think your followers will be chuffed that ur making the most of ur gift and much needed rest is needed to keep the pace. If you're like me you get zonked by the end of a days work and so little time for the 'to do' list!! Well here's to a happy start to the new term xxx